5ive Songs For December

December is a time for reflection and being with family, neither of which I will be doing this year. So in my absence, I've chosen some songs that relate to home and the holiday season. Enjoy and we'll see you next year.




Whiter Shade of Pale (Annie Lennox)
The first time I heard this Procol Harum song as a kid, I thought it was a Christmas song (and wondered why they were playing it on the radio in June). It's still not a carol, but Annie's angelic voice puts me in the holiday spirit.

Please Come Home for Christmas (Etta James)
This song is a carol and one of my favorites (besides the Chipmunks and Charlie Brown), probably because it's a blues/rock number. I picked this version from Etta in keeping with the angel theme and also because of the movie "Cadillac Records" coming out this month.

Better Be Home Soon (Andrea Zonn)
This Crowded House song is on the list because a) I like it, b) it's about home, and c) she has an even more angelic voice than Annie Lennox.

Happy Birthday (Cracker)
This one goes out to all the December birthdays, including a few siblings and of course our saviour, Santa Claus (at least we hope he comes through this year). And I've always loved this band's warped sense of humor. Their website is CrackerSoul.com.

I'll be Home for Christmas (Sarah McLachlan)
Another carol sung by an angel dedicated to all those people stuck in airports this time of year.

hear the also-rans at Playlist.com/MultimediaJones

No comments: