5ive Songs About Los Angeles

This month's playlist is an ode to a city everyone loves to hate, but really hate loving as much as they do, myself included. And what's no to love/hate? Earthquakes, wildfires, heat waves, celebrities (and those who think they are) make L.A. the unique and special place it is.

I finally had to/got to leave this past month with every intention of returning someday soon. In the mean-time, I'm listening to music that reminds me what I love/hate about "The City That Never Wakes Up."


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


Steven's Last Night in Town (Ben Folds Five)
Even Steven can be a bit odd in a place like L.A. I've been threatening to leave ever since I got there and no one cared. It's just one more endearing quality about the promised land where everything is promised and little is delivered. I showed them...

Los Angeles (X)
She had to leave for many of the same reasons that still exist 25 years after this song was written. It's a big, international city where not everyone looks, talks, or thinks like her. Some give up and leave while others give up and stay. But that's from a Hall and Oates song, so forget I said that.

Los Angeles (Sugarcult)
"This city's killing me." -Along with millions of others, but we still keep coming by the thousands. And leaving by the hundreds. Speaking of hundreds, there's plenty of songs titled "Los Angeles" on the full playlist, which shows an ironic lack of originality.

Murio La Flor (Los Angeles Negros)
At first I thought this group was called the L.A. Negroes, but then realized it was Spanish for The Black Angels. If you want to hear an African-American's perspective on LA, check out "This is Los Angeles (Gang Capitol of the Nation)" on the full playlist.

Free Fallin' (The Summer Obsession)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Tom Petty version, but he's from Florida. I don't know or even care where these guys are from (even though this is the second time I've included one of their songs). They certainly remind us what a great song this is.

As always, there's a ton of great songs that didn't make the list, so please continue this L.A. celebration at Playlist.com/MultimediaJones

No comments: